Various Business v4 Bugs

• Seite 1 von 2
22.11.2020 18:47 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 22.11.2020 18:48)
#1 Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Hello,

We've noticed various bugs in our Business v4 forum (602300), here are some of them that I remember currently:

1. Blocking multiple registrations with the same IP does not work. We often see spam from "users" with the same IP. Not sure if multiple same email blocking is affected as well.

2. The post count does not seem to update upon deletions, only when writing new posts. It only goes up, not down. At least not in real time or anything close to that. The admin control panel for post re-calculation does not seem to help either (not that such a manual operation is the solution).

3. At the admin control panel, "Nicht freigeschaltete Mitglieder" > "Freischalten" and "Löschen" should be "boxes", not "radio buttons". Sometimes you want to select or deselect some but not all users.

4. The search function is problematic, especially when trying to find all the posts from a certain user.

5. Various users report obnoxious ads which take the whole page, usually in-between sub-forums or when opening threads, and cannot even be ignored easily. This type of intrusion is probably excessive for a paid forum and causes user annoyance.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
22.11.2020 18:57
#2 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Mitglied

Hi there,

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #1
1. Blocking multiple registrations with the same IP does not work. We often see spam from "users" with the same IP. Not sure if multiple same email blocking is affected as well.

Regarding blocking same email: Works fine. I tried that myself when creating a member account for testing. You can test that as well - create a new account with your email already in use.

3. At the admin control panel, "Nicht freigeschaltete Mitglieder" > "Freischalten" and "Löschen" should be "boxes", not "radio buttons". Sometimes you want to select or deselect some but not all users.

What is the difference when having check boxes? You can select or deselect single users by radio button as well. There is no need to select the whole row of new registered users.

5. Various users report obnoxious ads which take the whole page, usually in-between sub-forums or when opening threads, and cannot even be ignored easily. This type of intrusion is probably excessive for a paid forum and causes user annoyance.

There have been discussions already. Please find an answer for that here: Werbung mitten auf der Forenseite ..... = new type of ads. I have them too (Basistarif).

There was an issue in the beginning with popup windows, but has been fixed meanwhile. When you find a problem in this regard, you should report that new.

Best regards,
River

-------------------------------------------------------------

+++Ich will Computercrack werden! XD+++

Business Template (v4)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
22.11.2020 19:12 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 22.11.2020 19:13)
#3 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Zitat
Regarding blocking same email: Works fine.

Alright, but IP does not work for sure and it is very important for basic spam prevention.

Zitat
You can select or deselect single users by radio button as well.

No, radio buttons cannot be de-selected, only selected or changed. That's their nature. If there are 100 users pending activation and you start selecting some of them for deletion, if you accidentally select something you don't want, you'll have to refresh the entire page and start again. Sometimes you neither want to approve or delete and radio buttons cause problems in the case of accidental selection there.

Zitat
new type of ads. I have them too (Basistarif).

Sure, but on large forums with that many visits/hits, like ours, I highly doubt that the "basic tariff + normal ads" does not at least cover the server costs. I understand normal ads on the top/side (based on the admin control panel preference) but full page ones are pushing it.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
22.11.2020 19:21
#4 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Mitglied

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #3
IP does not work

This is a question for the support - I did not answer upon this matter therefore.

, if you accidentally select something you don't want, you'll have to refresh the entire page and start again

But should do (no matter which shape = check box or radio button). Sounds like a bug, select/deselect single users should work.

does not at least cover the server costs

We don't know what costs are caused and if they are covered or not. I guess, we simply must accept it as it is.^^

Best regards,
River

Business Template (v4)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
23.11.2020 11:32
#5 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Technik

Hey @plutomaniac

thanks for the feedback.

Alright, but IP does not work for sure and it is very important for basic spam prevention.

The feature seems to be working fine for me.
Can you please give me an example of a post created by someone with an ip-address that is on your blacklist?

Sometimes you neither want to approve or delete

We never thought of the need to "deselect" a registrant without accepting or deleting the signup request. We're currently working on a full makeover of the admin panel so I will keep that in mind when I get to updating the index page.

Sure, but on large forums with that many visits/hits, like ours, I highly doubt that the "basic tariff + normal ads" does not at least cover the server costs

Your forum might be one of the very few forums where that statement is actually true. If there is an Ad that is particularly annoying please take a screenshot and contact us by mail - I can't make any promises but for forums your size we might be able to make a few tweaks to the ads shown.

Viele Grüße,
Ingmar

Technik · Homepagemodules.de · Miranus GmbH

Antworten

Beitrag melden
23.11.2020 21:47
#6 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Thanks for the reply Ingmar.

Zitat
Can you please give me an example of a post created by someone with an ip-address that is on your blacklist?

Ah, I do not mean the blacklist. Basically, someone can create two different accounts with the exact same IP address, which should not be allowed. I notice that whenever we are hit badly with spam. I don't have a picture to show you now but it is very apparent in "Nicht freigeschaltete Mitglieder" section whenever it happens.

Zitat
We never thought of the need to "deselect" a registrant without accepting or deleting the signup request.

Yeah, here is what I do. I delete non-complete registrations after some days. But I want to keep the recent ones at the top. With the radio buttons, if you select "all" at the "delete" section, it will also select the top/recent ones without a way to de-select them. Alternatively, you can select "delete" per user but that is very time consuming and in case you miss-click a top/recent one, a refresh is needed to start all over again.

Zitat
If there is an Ad that is particularly annoying please take a screenshot and contact us by mail

Thought so. Alright, I will send you an email if I get more user complaints about specific intrusive ads.

Regarding the other two issues (2,4), are there any solutions there by any chance? Issue number 2 is mostly relevant to this and number 3 has been reported by our users who find the search problematic.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 11:14
#7 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Technik

4. The search function is problematic, especially when trying to find all the posts from a certain user.

I just re-initializedyour search index. Please check if the search results are complete now.

The post count does not seem to update upon deletions, only when writing new posts. It only goes up, not down. At least not in real time or anything close to that. The admin control panel for post re-calculation does not seem to help either (not that such a manual operation is the solution).

That is the expected behaviour.

The post count indicates how many posts a certain member has written. That count doesn't change simply because the admin decides to delete a post/thread/category.

Viele Grüße,
Ingmar

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 12:42 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 24.11.2020 12:43)
#8 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Zitat
I just re-initializedyour search index. Please check if the search results are complete now.

Thank you, it is better now, it shows a close enough value instead of 1/10th or similar like before. There is still this "Other" section which (at least in my account) has 252 entries which show nothing:

The math doesn't seem right either. There "should be" 4940 posts but search finds 5042 (Forum 4790, Other 252). Even assuming that 252 are the deleted ones which the forum still counts for some reason, that should be 4940 - 252 = 4688, not 4790.

Zitat
That count doesn't change simply because the admin decides to delete a post/thread/category.

That's the first forum software I've ever seen doing that. It means that the post count is usually inaccurate and not an indication of a user's contributions. In my humble opinion, it doesn't make sense to only add but not remove. It's like someone who's 70 years old saying that they have 8 cars but what they actually mean is that they have 1 currently and the other 7 from many years ago, now retired/scrapped. It is misleading. Maybe the search issue is related to this actually.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 13:07
#9 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Technik

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #8
Other 252

"Other" should be content that is not listet in any other category (i.e. guest book entries).
I'll have a look at your results to check why the result count is listed but no results are shown. Looks like a template error.

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #8
That\'s the first forum software I\'ve ever seen doing that. It means that the post count is usually inaccurate and not an indication of a user\'s contributions

I guess that's debateable.
I have written 13200+ posts in this forum. If we decide to delete the forum archives for 2009-2012 I will still have contributed 13200+ posts to this forum - even though some of them might not be available anymore.

Another thought:
What happens in yourt way of counting if a thread is moved to another forum with different read rights? Will it still count as a post even if it is only readable for the admin? Why should it make any difference to a member whether a thread is deleted or moved to an internal archive?

Viele Grüße,
Ingmar

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 13:47 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 24.11.2020 13:48)
#10 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Zitat
If we decide to delete the forum archives for 2009-2012

This is a very rare edge case. Noone does this really. You always try to preserve history (old posts), not delete anything prior to a specific year. But even in that very edgy case, yes, the actual (explained below) post count should (IMHO) be adjusted accordingly.

Zitat
What happens in yourt way of counting

Small clarification, it is not my way of counting. That's the common practice (myBB, phpBB, vBulletin, Invision etc). It is ok to differentiate of course, as long as the arguments to the contrary make sense in the daily forum operation.

Zitat
Will it still count as a post even if it is only readable for the admin?

Yes. The most important thing is what the server/DB and by extension its Admin know to be true. The server/admin should always know exactly how many DB entries exist for a given user. Otherwise it becomes problematic to separate contributions, to write plugins/extensions which utilize the post count, as reported by the server/DB etc. The existence of any private/restricted sections is a good argument but again, the DB needs to know what's what. In that case, this discrepancy in what the user sees, can be solved by showing different post counts based on access level. Or simply always show the actual DB value but at the "user's post" section, have a category which shows that there are more which are not available due to access rights to those sections.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 15:16
#11 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Mitglied

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #10
This is a very rare edge case. Noone does this really.

Actually, I know many admins that delete complete threads/forums. They clean up the forum from time to time. ^^
When a forum will be cleaned up, the points must not change, of course.

Maybe we can get both options, so everybody is satisfied. XD

Best regards,
River

Business Template (v4)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 16:26
#12 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Zitat
Actually, I know many admins that delete complete threads/forums. [...] Maybe we can get both options, so everybody is satisfied.

Interesting, I've never met one apparently. I agree thought, an option would cover both use cases.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
24.11.2020 19:15
#13 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Mitglied

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #12
Interesting, I've never met one apparently.

It depends on the topic of the forum and if only newer entries are of interest. Some off-topic threads for example are later no more needed. And there are many forums just for fun and without serious intention.

I guess, this is the reason why the software has been programmed without downgrading members (they have been working for so much).

Best regards,
River

Business Template (v4)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.11.2020 12:18
#14 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
pl
Mitglied

Zitat
1. Blocking multiple registrations with the same IP does not work. We often see spam from "users" with the same IP.

Found a case of that problem today, here is a picture:

On days with lots of spam, you can see many such consecutive entries with the same IP. Clearly fake users. Registering multiple accounts with the same IP should not be allowed within a defined time-frame (i.e. 1 day or admin configurable, to account for ISPs with Dynamic IP allocation).

When implemented, spam can be halted more easily and users won't be able to intentionally create multiple accounts to ask for help and make their problem seem popular or similar (the last one sounds pathetic but does happen a lot actually).

Antworten

Beitrag melden
28.11.2020 13:02 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 28.11.2020 13:04)
#15 RE: Various Business v4 Bugs
Mitglied

Zitat von plutomaniac im Beitrag #14
1. Blocking multiple registrations with the same IP does not work. We often see spam from "users" with the same IP.

Dafür find ich keine Einstellung in der Admin.
Wenn das gewünscht wird, gehört das doch eher in die Kategorie Verbesserungsvorschlag und nicht in den Bug-Report.

Oder gibt es das und ich habe es nur nicht gefunden?

www.friends-of-xobor.de (621181 - V4 Template)
www.seniorenclub-sel-koeln.de (578865 - V6 Template)

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!